Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Butterfly Montage


Original blog about a butterfly montage



Second blogger who was inspired by the first blogger



I saw these projects on a blog I stalk and really wanted to do a butterfly montage in the baby's room. I looked in my scrapbook stash for a butterfly punch-no punch, I looked in my cricut collection for a butterfly to cut out in different sizes-no butterfly. I really didn't want to purchase more things that are actual hard physical scrapbook items since I've mostly been doing digital scrapbooking. I remembered that my friend Kris showed me these digital butterfly stamps and I also remembered that Costco printed posters and an idea was born. I bought these digital butterfly images that can be sized, re-colored, and stamped endlessly and decided to do a huge poster 20x30 with the baby's name and butterflies matching the colors in her room.


I designed the poster a couple of weeks ago, but have had a challenge getting the colors to match the colors in her bedding. I've printed some smaller samples of colors and the actual poster at Costco before I wasted money by printing a huge poster that I didn't like. Today I picked up my last color samples and finally have colors that match the colors in her room. I am uploading one more small sample of the poster tonight to Costco to pick up tomorrow before sending off for the large one that will come in the mail.


Every color in Photoshop has a unique identifier made up of letters/numbers. I would print the sample color and identifier so I would know what to use if it matched the colors I wanted.

The Hammonds gave me a GC to Ikea for my birthday and so I used that towards a frame for the poster and it pretty much covered it-so thanks for the great gift Ray & Em. The Ribba frames come in a myriad of sizes and colors. We picked white and the 2nd largest size.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50161854

Anyways, thought I would share what the poster looks like sans the name....I'll post some complete pics of her room once she's home and the frame is up in it's place. Her room has turned out way cute and I love it! It's definitely PINK!


Her name will be at the bottom of the collage in lower case letters in the dark pink.

I really want to do a poster now for Mattew's room, but just need to decide what to do. He has a dot theme in his room in turquoise, dk lime green, and chocolate so it has to be something that matches that.

3 comments:

kris said...

Great idea, I love it!

Em said...

Soooo cute! Glad you can use the gift card, and I thought for a second you would reveal the name by showing the poster - but I guess we still have to wait!!!

Tiana Johnson said...

Soooo adorable! I wish I lived next door to you so I could copy all your brilliant ideas and pick your brain. Ah, now I'm reminiscing about our days at Ricks and how I moved into your room so we could talk and laugh all night...and watch movies together all weekend. I feel so sad that you're probably the best, most fun, creative friend I ever had, yet we managed to lose touch and now that we found each other again, I never even get to see you! If my husband didn't hate the desert so much, I'd be tempted to move so I could live by you.

By the way, it's okay if you don't make it in June. I suspect my house won't be done. If you come next year with Jordan, the house will be done and it'll be easier in the airport. If you really want to come this year, and you're flying in on a weekend, we'll come up to the airport and help you with the luggage and kids. So either way, I got your back and I'll see you...someday!

PS. I love the butterflies and I'm trying to figure out how I can do something similar in my girls' room.