Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentines Popcorn

I decided to share the delicious treat that I made for Matthew's preschool valentines party.

VALENTINES POPCORN


Supplies Needed:
1 1/2 cups unpopped popcorn
3 bags of candy melts - I used white, red, and pink
Waxed paper
Bags to put them in


I got these bags at JoAnn's, but Michaels sells them and probably Hobby Lobby too. They come in all sorts of colors. I've given this out before at Christmas, but you could do this for St. Patty's Day, 4th of July, Halloween, etc. Also, if you know you're going to be using it for a specific holiday, wait until it goes on sale as it is kinda pricey. My sister got a ton the day after Thanksgiving for super cheap.

Pop the popcorn in 1/2 cup increments and keep in separate bowls. Microwave the first bag of melts separately at 30 second increments. Take out, stir, and microwave again. Do this a total of 3 times. It makes the melts the perfect consistency. Pour the melted chocolate over the first bowl of popcorn and stir thoroughly until all popcorn is coated. Spread over wax paper. Repeat with other 2 colors.







After the popcorn is set, break up into single pieces and layer in a bowl evenly. I did a little white, then a little pink, then a little red, and continued until my bowl was full. I had to use 2 big bowls to fit all the popcorn. After it is layered then take a spatula and gently mix together. I just find that this method really distributes the colors pretty evenly.



Take plastic bags - (I found mine near the candy section at JoAnn's where the candy melts were) and fill them about 3/4 full. Tie with ribbon and tie on your Valentines card. I think they turned out cute and the parents will be so happy that their kids are hopped up on sugar! :)



We are doing secret Valentines at work that we were made to be a part of. I've been lame and have been neglecting my secret person. I made her these cute filled hearts tonight, she'll get some popcorn, and I'm giving her some cute towels that I picked up today too. Anyways, I thought the broken hearts were a cute idea and wanted to pass along the idea from here.

2 comments:

Heather said...

The popcorn looks fantastic! Thanks for the great ideas!

kris said...

mmmm...I'm going to dream about candy-coated popcorn now! :)